Thursday 1 January 2015

2014 Beauty Favourites


This has definitely been a busy year in terms of make up and trying out new products. It really doesn't feel like a year since I wrote my last yearly favourites and I feel like I am still loving the products I featured in my 2013 but for the sake of some variety I have tried not to include the same products again. I will admit this favourites post is slightly NARS-centric but I did have to restrain myself to not include all NARS products. But if I was to choose a favourite brand of the year it would be NARS without a doubt!

Base
NARS Sheer Glow- This will come as no surprise to any of you that read my blog. I found my holy-grail foundation this year in the form of the NARS Sheer Glow and I have raved about it in many posts! I love this so much I have it in 3 shades currently! I have Mont Blanc, Deauville and Fiji- all for different stages of the tanning process! It is a medium to full coverage foundation which leaves a gorgeous natural finish to the skin. It blends beautifully into the skin and is so long lasting it's unreal!

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer- Another predictable pick for those of you who follow this blog. I bought this at the same time as the Sheer Glow foundation. I will admit that it was a bit of an impulse buy, and the sales assistant really did sell it to me but after using it for the majority of the year, and repurchasing it last month I can say it is one of the nicest concealers I have ever used. It covers a multitude of sins and stays put all day. I use the lightest shade in this- I probably would get away with using a shade or two up, but I like to use this for highlighting too! 

Bourjois Healthy Balance Powder- This is the same as last year, and it is purely because I haven't found a powder I like as much as this. I have been using the No.7 loose powder the past couple of months but I don't like it as much purely because it is not as travel friendly as the Bourjois one, and I have had a few spillages with it! The Bourjois powder is really finely milled and doesn't leave your skin looking overly matte or cakey. It does a brilliant job at setting your foundation and taking away any excess oil or shine there might be.

Eyes

Anastasia Brow Whizz- I have had an eyebrow revalation this year after trying the Anastasia Brow Whiz.I normally get my eyebrows threaded every couple of weeks anyway so using this pencil has just introduced some more definition to my eyebrow life. It has a spoolie on one end and on the other is the tinest pencil ever. It really helps you mimic the look of tiny hairs so the look you can achieve is so natural and it is so quick and easy to use!

Smashbox Full Exposure Palette- I have still been loving and regularly using the Naked Basics palette this year but another neutral palette that I have been using consistently since I bought it back in August is this beauty from Smashbox. It is a palette with half matte shades and half shimmer shades, so you can create a great variety of looks with this. All the eyeshadows are really nice and easy to work with and they have decent pigmentation to them. As you can see from the picture, I got the most use out of the cool-toned, matte shades (shock) and have been wearing them on an everyday basis!

Max-Factor Clump Defy False Lash Effect Mascara- This was a new discovery for me this year, it might have even been a new release from Max-Factor! I have used the regular version of this mascara in the past, and while I found it good I was never overwhelmed by it. But when I seen this on the shelves of Boots I decided to give it a go. It has a slightly curved wand which allows you to grip all lashes and it distributes an even amount of product. It adds both length and volume to my lashes without looking spidery.

 
Face
NYX Taupe Blush- This year I have really been getting into contouring. Before this year it was always something I attempted to do with my bronzer. But I discovered this year that using a more cool-toned shade worked better on my skintone and gave a more natural shadow. When NYX launched in Ireland I picked up the blush in the shade Taupe. It is a grey-toned brown colour which makes it perfect for contouring. I use this under my cheekbones to try and add more definition before adding my bronzer on top.

Liz Earle Radiant Glow Bronzer- I have chopped and changed my bronzers alot this year, but one that I seem to have gotten the most use out of is the Liz Earle Radiant Glow Bronzer. This bronzer has four shades in it, going from very dark to a light golden bronze. I just tend to swirl my brush through all four colours and apply to the top of my forehead and down the centre of my face. It also adds the smallest amount of glow to your skin without looking overly glittery.

NARS Doucear Blush- I discovered this blush later on this year but in the short space of time that I have owned it, I have found it to be the most useful blush I own. This is the most versatile, easy to wear blush that I own. It is brown-plum in colour. If you are looking for a colour to wear while you are wearing a bold lip or a smokey eye this is the one for you. It adds a flush of colour without taking attention away from anything else.

The Balm Mary Lou-Manizer- The Balm was a brand that I discovered this year and have been loving everything I have tried from them so far! The Mary Lou-Manizer highlighter was the first item I tried from them, after hearing all the rave reviews online. This is an absolutely gorgeous gold-toned highlighter. The powder is so finely milled it looks like you have nothing on your skin. It is not at all glittery in slightest but just leaves a gorgeous - almost wet look - sheen to the skin. 

Lips
NARS Cruella- For a bold lip this year, Cruella has been the main one that I have been reaching for. I love a dark vampy red and this is the one that just ticks all the boxes for me. As a whole I have been loving the NARS Velvet Matte lip pencils, they are just amazing! Matte, but not at all drying and extremely long lasting. Cruella has been the one that I have been carrying around in my handbag the past couple of months just incase I want to change up my look during the day. It is a really easy to wear red and it makes your teeth look really nice and white!

Nuxe Reve De Miel- During the year I have gone through many nude lip options, but when it came down to it the one that I have reached for the most has been my Reve De Miel lip balm. I bought this as a birthday treat for myself back in March and have used it everyday since. It is the most hydrating lipbalm I have ever used. I have used it with both lipsticks and lip pencils and it works well with both. It has a matte finish so it tends to stick around longer than your average lip balm. Slightly more expensive but so worth it!

So that is the round up of my favourite products of 2014! I have picked up a few new bits over the Christmas and have been lucky enough to recieve some make-up bits as presents so you can expect alot of reviews in the coming weeks! Let me know what your top products of 2014 were and if you have any similar favourites to me! Happy New Year to you all and thank you all so much for reading my blog over the past year!


8 comments:

  1. i might try the balm highlighter, i don't often use highlighter but i want to start getting into them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to try some the Balm products this year - they all sound great. x

    http://www.talesofapaleface.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive had Nars Douceur on my wish list for ageeees - i knew it was that shade even before i got towards the end - its stunning! Definitely on my 'to buy' list this year - thanks for the reminder! Also would love to try the Nars concealer. Like you, I bloomin' love Sheer Glow so id love to give it a whirl :) Fab 2014 favourites! Theres a few things here i need to get my mitts on! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to try out the Nars foundation and concealer! x

    gillmclaughlin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dying to try the Nars lip pencils this year!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to try the Anastasia Brow Whizz so bad! I love the look of the Smashbox palette too! Can I just have your makeup collection please! You have so many amazing bits! x

    Mapped Out | Fashion, Beauty, Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  7. What gorgeous picks! The NARS concealer was one of my favourites this year too and I intend to purchase the foundation soon xx

    Ramblings of a Beauty Bird | Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choices, I love my Anastasia Brow Powder Duo and the Clump Defy mascara, both are in my favourites post too! The Liz Earle bronzer sounds lovely xx

    Kat from Blushing Rose

    ReplyDelete